Sunday, June 30, 2013

Catch Up

Okay, so I told you all about me, now I want to give you some background knowledge of what has happened since my decision to have the band:

First off, I did not go with gastric bypass or sleeve because those two surgeries scare the crap out of me.   Stapling parts, removing parts, then gaining it back?  No thank you!  I like the adjustability of the lap band and the minimally invasiveness of the procedure.  It feels safer.

Once I decided what I wanted, I asked around and talked to people that had gone through the procedure.  Two people recommended True Results in Austin, TX.  They both have had success and only regretted that they did not do it sooner.  So I called and set up a free consultation.  I think their job was to convince me that I should do it, but I went in there ready to schedule!  Since I teach, I wanted to get it done as soon as possible in the summer.  I met with a patient advocate who has lost 120 pounds himself and looks great.  He talked with me, we discussed financing (my insurance won't cover it so it is $10K out of my pocket) and I was able to secure it through CareCredit.  It was painless.

From there I went in to meet with my nurse practitioner.  She is basically my case manager and will help me along after I am banded.  I love going to that office because all of the chairs are HUGE!  It makes me feel so tiny and petite!  I met with my PA again and we scheduled all of my tests, appointments, and surgery.  I went home super excited but a little scared.

My feelings have been up and down about this whole thing.  Sometimes I feel excited and confident and other times I am scared that I won't be able to follow through.  After all, I've never been successful at losing weight beyond 30 lbs, so why would I be successful this time?  It's hard to break that feeling.

I met with my nutritionist two weeks ago and we discussed my pre-op diet and my post-op diet.  I started my pre-op diet while on a family vacation.  I thought it would stink to be on a diet during vacation, but my family was REALLY supportive and I think it made it easier to stay on track with so much accountability.  This first phase is Atkins.  Lots of meat, no fruit, sugar, bread, nuts, legumes.  I can essentially have fat, meat, cheese to an extent, and vegetables.  I can't exceed 20grams of carbs a day.  A couple of times I have struggled, but I have not been off track.  I've been going to Chick-Fil-A and getting a cup of grilled nuggets and a side salad.  The full fat ranch dressing only has one gram of carbs, so I put that in too.  There is also a lot of water drinking going on.

Some people have posted that they have to do a liquid diet for two weeks prior to surgery.  Thank goodness that is not me!! Every time I feel sad about no carbs...I remember it could be MUCH worse!  I made banana bread for my kids this morning and I thought I might die if I didn't have a bite.  It smelled so wonderful.  There were small bites of uneaten bread laying on plates that were literally calling my name to "just have a little taste".  I refused and eventually they gave up.  I struggled again when I sliced the extra loaves to put in bags and then in the freezer.  I had to ask my husband to come in from weed eating to watch me so that I wouldn't sneak a bite.  :)

So I meet my surgeon on Tuesday and get specifics about surgery. Woo woo!



3 comments:

  1. So happy to support you on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you for supporting me! I'm so glad we reconnected after all these years!

      Delete
  2. I'm going through True Results in Austin too! Now I'm even more excited to follow your Journey because I'll probably have the same pre and post op routines and diets. Blog EVERYTHING!! Lol

    ReplyDelete