Saturday, October 26, 2013

HELLOOOOOOOO 220's!!!!

Where you been all my life?!  Oh yeah that's right...you were hiding way underneath my fat butt!

No matter where you've been....I'm SOOOOOOOO glad to see you now!

That's right guys...I hopped on the scale this morning and I was 230.1 and then I pottied and tried again and I was 229.7!!!  It's a new era.  I really don't remember being this weight.  I know it was after meeting Jason but before getting married - like twelve years ago.  I was a size 18 when I met him and I am a solid 20 right now in any size clothing.  Some 20's are too big, some are just right, so I may be getting closer to 18. Wow.  As soon as I was getting super frustrated about plateau-ing, I had major loss this week.  I lost a half pound to a pound and a half every day this week.  I am back on track (until I plateau again and then I will have to read this post again and know I just need to stick with it and it will come - but there may be more whining....just bare with me).

The only thing I was able to improve this week was my water intake.  I was not able to exercise more in the evening due to scheduling conflicts.  I only walked 15 miles this week and it was all Saturday, Sunday, and Monday so it wasn't all technically this week.  I consciously drank more water and tried harder to stop snacking.  That's it.

A couple of things that are concerning me:


  1. This whole poop situation (Dad, you may want to skip this part).  I used to have zero problems doing a number 2 pretty much whenever I wanted.  Since being banded those #2's have understandably slowed down because of my reduced food intake and for the simple fact that I no longer gorge myself uncontrollably with more food than my body would ever burn by sitting on the couch.  These last two weeks have become a real problem.  I have started taking fiber supplements and I have been increasing my vegetable intake.  It only seems to make it worse.  One day I literally thought I was going to have to go to the hospital and have my poo surgically removed.  I could only imagine how THAT conversation was going to go with the triage nurse.  THANK GOODNESS I found some glycerin suppositories in my cabinet.  I refuse to look and see if they have an expiration date- I don't remember buying them.  Those little babies have helped me get through the week.  I may just have to start taking a laxative every night before bed.  Any recommendations on a good one?
  2. I've started losing more hair in the shower.  It's not clumps, I've just noticed an increase.  I've started taking biotin supplements to try and stop it.  I've always had such thick hair, I'm not that concerned, but I'd like to stop it.  I also got some new vitamins that have biotin in them.  
  3. I've started taking iron supplements that may be affecting the whole poop situation (see bullet #1), but I had a friend hospitalized because of her iron levels being too low.  I get so excited about the weight loss, it's easy to forget how important what I eat is to my body and my well being.   
Other than these things, I am really happy and I have a ton more energy than 40 pounds ago.  I only wish I had been able to have this surgery years ago.  I'm glad I had it now.  :)  I feel good, I'm looking better, my health is better, I've made some new friends and rekindled some old friendships!  What's not to like?  When I saw my doctor this week she had a questionnaire about depression.  I almost had to laugh as I answered the questions.  I'm the furthest thing from depressed right now.  I'm a happy girl who needs to quit blogging so I can go join my family.  Love to all!  Thanks for reading!

9 comments:

  1. Yahooooo!!! That's awesome, Jen!!! Did you do a little happy dance? Click your heels in the air? Wow - that's just really cool!

    So, since this blog entry is majority potty based, I'm going to weigh in (<<<double entendre... hehehe). I used to eat too MUCH fiber (salad, greens, etc) and not enough carbs and protein. And I'd get backed up. Then, b/c everything I read said to eat more fiber and drink more water, I did. It was a vicious cycle. You know what bears do before they hibernate? They eat a ton of greens... A LOT. Then they eat a lot and the food stays put because all those greens form a plug. When they wake from hibernation, they have to eat a LOT to get the plug to move out. Hmmmm... I was doing that to my body :p - ugh! Anyway, my WHOLE POINT in telling you all this is so you'll believe me when I suggest you EAT A BALANCED DIET. In an effort to be healthy and eat light, do NOT forgo carbs or protein. Your body needs it all.

    As for hair, if you aren't getting enough nutrients, it's the first place your body will steal them :( - I lost a lot when I was pregnant with Minna. My body stopped growing hair! My head lost a lot. Now it's all growing back (despite being in my second trimester AND nursing an 8 m/o!). You know why? I'm making SURE to eat regularly and REALLY watching to make sure I'm getting enough nutrients.

    It's all so tricky...

    But you'll find your rhythm! I just wanted to give you a whole lot of extra food for thought as you're making decisions that will effect your body... and what is and isn't coming out of it. LOL!

    Oh, and since I'm on a "let me tell you everything I know" kick... here is something to remember about weight loss... you are getting WAY more exercise than you used to! That means you are building muscles ALL OVER. You are walking a LOT, even if it's not as much as you want. You are building muscle. You may still be losing quite a bit of fat, without losing weight. And fat isn't a "fat burner" - muscle is! So even at rest, right now your body is burning fat and calories more efficiently than it was previously. You may stay the same weight for a week or two, but notice your clothes getting looser. It's NOT in your head. Here is a visual for you: a pound of fat is roughly the size of a grapefruit; a pound of muscle is roughly the size of a lemon. Think about THAT! You can lose the difference between a lemon and a grapefruit in size, yet stay the same weight!!! Point is, just because the numbers don't reassure you sometimes, learn to trust your body to tell you what's up! :D

    Love you!!! Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are now my life coach. :) Love you and your enthusiasm for my blog and me!

      Delete
  2. I'm dancing in my kitchen for you right now!! Congrats! I can't wait to see the 220's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Jennifer! Keep it up! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw... the #2's drinking the extra water will help, and eating too much fiber is not always good. You have to try and eat more balanced. and watch the iron pills.... they will stop you up. Until i had my hysterectomy and before LB i lived with low iron and at one point was put in the hospital... i had 2% iron and it should have been 20%... Doctor said she didn't know how i was getting up every day and going to work.... anywho... I would not take a laxitive... i would take a softner instead.

    The hair loss is a factor with lb. but if you try and get in your 80gm of it... it should lessen.

    Now about those 220's.... didn't i tell you if you kept doing what you were doing it would come..... You are a Rock star... I predict my Mothers Day.... at least if not before... you'll be in the 100's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the comments from new banded friends. You help keep me on track and know what to expect. Love you Christine!

      Delete