Tuesday, July 30, 2013

First Fill

Thank freaking goodness!!! I had my first fill today!

For those that are not in the know about the lap band (which was me about 3 months ago), a fill is when saline is added to the band which increases the tightness of the band and decreases your hunger due to the increased pressure at the top of your stomach.

Fills are performed with a needle in the clinic.  I heard "needle" and immediately my stomach dropped. I was so nervous about it, I thought I was going to have diarrhea on the way there!  Nervous stomach much?!?

It turns out that all of my worry was for nothing.  I didn't look at the needle and it didn't really hurt.  It was uncomfortable for like 15 seconds, but that was it.  I now have 5.5cc's in my band.  :)  I love not being so hungry.  It frees my mind.

I was immediately not hungry and I feel in control again.  I will go again in another two weeks.  I have 24 hours of liquids again and then 24 hours of mushies.  I picked up a meal plan in the lobby that had some great recipes so I made my grocery list from that.  I am going to be out of town a couple of nights next week so I may bring some food with me or make good choices at restaurants or both.

I was also given a chart of my expected weight loss.  I have recreated it below.


So I am right on track essentially for where I am supposed to be.  She told me that it is very common for people to gain weight before their first fill.  I am right on track for hitting my 30 day goal and I may surpass it.  I have committed to not weighing myself until my two week visits at the clinic.  That may be the hardest part!  

My friend Lori gave me some good advice about running.  I am right not to run this early on.  It is too much pressure on my knees.  


"But if people are more than 20 pounds overweight, Lane says they shouldn't start off with an intense running regimen.
"I have them walk and walk until they're to a point where I think their body mass is reduced enough that it won't traumatize their joints," she says. Otherwise, significantly overweight joggers run the risk of that extra weight stressing the knee to the point of inflammation, the formation of bony spurs and accelerated cartilage loss.""
So I am right about continuing to walk.  My original magic number was 220 but now I think it should be 200.  I need to just keep walking and getting after it.  :)  

I almost forgot!  I also bought a new food scale today.  Now I am no longer guessing how much I am eating.  
Love to all!

8 comments:

  1. Jen, I am so glad to hear this! It is really amazing what a difference a fill can make...and I only have 3cc in my band right now. Look out, Green Zone...here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Julie!! We are on the way! I read you are a teacher too? I feel like it will be easier to manage once I go back to work. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely feel the same way. I am a boredom eater so having a lot of free time is dangerous for me. That's going to come to an end very soon! :)

      Delete
  3. Yay for the fill! I'm glad you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for your first fill and being on track! I'm glad to hear you have your good spirits back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my first.... i was sooo scared. But my doc is so great i hardly felt a thing. but i tell you one thing. Now that i lost the weight, it hurt more because there's no fat around my port. Just saying.

    Tips for vacation eating: go on line and look at the menu before-hand. have a choice or two in mind before you go. Remember to say no to drinks... even water. Remember to ask if you can eat off the kids menu and get that food grilled... if not, ask for a half size.. some do some don't... but it never hurts to ask. I tend to stick with the soups, grilled shrimp, fish, potato (sweet if they have). But if they don't, tell them when they bring your food, to bring a go box with it. If they forget, turn around, go back to the kitchen and get one and then bring my food back. Plate out your portion and box the rest up. If you go buffet... Order off the menu. Did you dr give you your LB card?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is a LB card Chris, and what can I do with it?

      Delete
  6. Yay for not feeling hungry!!! And I'm glad you had a chance to read the articles (they explain it all pretty simply, don't they?). I was thinking about you returning to school... Do you keep candy in your classroom? I always did... Suggestion: give reward tickets, instead of candy. Then bring candy (or WHATEVER) in on Fridays and let them "cash in" their rewards. I wouldn't keep anything in my classroom I want to avoid... busy or not, noshing happens ;)

    I'm proud of you! Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete