Thursday, July 4, 2013

Met My McDreamy Surgeon

Here is it Thursday - the 4th of July!  I was so excited about my visit to see my surgeon on Tuesday but it was really no big deal.  There were seven other people in the room who are getting their surgery the same day.  Hello assembly line...

Here are the highlights:

  • They went over the "Eight Golden Rules" of lap band success
    1. Eat three or less small meals a day
    2. Do not eat anything between meals (this will be difficult)
    3. Eat slowly and stop when no longer hungry
    4. Focus on nutritional foods
    5. Avoid calorie containing liquids
    6. Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day
    7. Be active throughout each day
    8. Always be in contact with support staff (go in for monthly adjustments)
  • We got our prescriptions for pain relief and an anti-nausea suppository (good times)
  • My surgery time is 9:15 - and I need to be there two hours early and it's an hour+ drive.  
  • We got a video to watch at home.  Jason watched with me so that he can see what I need to do and how he can support me.  
Once our patient advocate left the room everyone talked about how they cheated on the pre-op diet!  I have been so good and hadn't cheated at all (notice how I used past tense).  So when I left there I came home and made my lunch.  I nibbled on little naughty things here and there like it was no big deal.  :(  I was sabotaged by the strangers in the room and the conversation with our surgeon.  He told us that a lot of doctors around the world don't put their patients on a pre-op diet to shrink their livers.  He said he does it with all of his patients because one time he had a patient that had binged before surgery eating all of his "one last time" foods.  His liver was so big and fat that the doctor couldn't put the band on.  So the guy went through surgery and recovery, but didn't get a band.  That is sad.  So I really left feeling like the diet wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it was.  I wish I'd never gone to that stupid meeting - pre-op is now harder than ever.  

My surgeon is cute - something about doctors is handsome in general.  So I had a private meeting with my handsome doctor to ask him if my ginormous boobs would be a problem during the operation or during recovery.  That was fun.  : /  He smiled and said it wouldn't be a problem.  I feel a little uncomfortable with a handsome doctor opening me up.  Not sure I want an unattractive doctor doing it either.  

Happy Fourth of July to everybody!.
 


1 comment:

  1. So, pre op is super important. You sticking with it is going to make recovery easier and the lifestyle change the band requires less stressful...all those people cheating are going to cry their eyes out when you drop pounds faster than a prom dress on prom night ;). And they are whining about why it's not working!

    Ps...I hate to say this, but now dreamy doc is totally going to think about your boobs during surgery. I laughed out loud at that!

    ReplyDelete