Friday, July 19, 2013

Mowed the lawn

Since the sweet hubs is away, someone has to mow the lawn.  I felt good enough to do it today so hooray for me!  Don't get any ideas that we have a riding mower, it's a push mower but our yard is fairly small.  I was only able to do the front yard before I felt like I was going too hard, so I will do the back yard tomorrow I guess.  I despise yard work.  I don't even feel that word is strong enough.  Loathe maybe...  It all stems from having to help my Mom weed a huge flower bed every summer when we were growing up.  I hated it.  It was hot, I had to crouch down, get dirty, possibly touch bugs, and who knows what else.  That was when we lived in Ohio.  Weeding in Texas is truly hazardous to your health!  The one time I pulled a weed out here, there was a baby rattlesnake curled up underneath it.  Scared the ever loving snot out of me. The neighbor had to get involved and it didn't end well for the baby rattler or my husband for that matter because now I refuse to reach under any bushes or shaded areas for any reason without a big stick.  Not to mention the fire ants and heat stroke that come with living in Texas!!

I am doing really well now.  For my friends that are going to be having surgery soon, give yourself at least a week to recover.  I needed every day of it but I thought I would be feeling better sooner because some people could go back to work 3 days after surgery.  I'm not one of those people but I feel so much more like myself again now.  There are moments that I remember that I am not 100% yet, but they are not often.  Oh yeah...in case anyone is wondering about a follow up to my previous post about poop...the um...consistency...is back to normal.  :)

Moving on...

I made a couple of good mushy meals this week that I want to share.  Someday I want to figure out how to put a tab on my blog for just recipes.  The first night I could eat mushy I made a
mushy lasagna.  I cooked italian sausage and then put it in the food processor.  I also used my food processor to shred zucchini because I read that vegetable skins are not good for this stage of eating.  I figured if I shredded them, they would be small enough to not give me any problems.  I sautéed the zucchini a bit to get some of the moisture out.  I mixed the meat and zucchini together.  It was going to be one of my layers. The other layer was ricotta cheese mixed with an egg and some chopped spinach.  My last layer was tomato and basil marinara sauce.  I layered two times and then topped with marinara and a small sprinkle of mozzarella.  Baked on 350 for about 40 minutes.  My 10 year old didn't like the texture of it.  My friend liked it and I liked it, but then again, I hadn't really solid food in a week.  I eat so little I have leftovers forever.  I took some for lunch this week at my workshops.

Last night I made burrito toppings.  My daughter got to wrap hers in a tortilla but I just put about two tablespoons of each thing in my bowl.  It was awesome!!  I cooked bison (my nutritionist recommended it as being lean and free of all the hormones and additives beef has) in my skillet with chopped onion.  I threw in a can of mild enchilada sauce and let it simmer until the mixture had thickened.  The flavor was awesome.  I had a can of refried beans that I heated up and I made some guacamole.  The three things side by side was so good. I have tons of leftovers of this too. My husband needs to come back so that he can eat some of this stuff.

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recovery info! I had only taken two days off because it kept sounding so easy but I just upped it to a week just in case! I'm with you on yard work in TX... I get fire ant bites EVERY time and I so hate anything but swimming outside most of the summer here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you buy your bison at? Is it tougher/meatier/gamier than other meats...very interested in hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy the bison at my neighborhood HEB (the very best grocery store on the planet - based here in Texas). It was really good! Very tender and quite delicious. I did not notice a gamey taste. I do not enjoy venison, so I would not steer you wrong here. :)

      Delete